Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ninajifunza Kiswahili ... I am learning Swahili.

Greetings from Flora Hostel.

I've now finished my second week of Swahili classes. We have two teachers who alternate time with us. Most of our time is learning grammar and general vocabulary, with some time for practicing conversation and comprehension. It seems like my brain is full of new words that I cannot find when I am looking for them.

Cindy & I outside our "shule"

Mwalimu (Teacher) Bill posing with us in our classroom.

Last weekend, three Maryknoll Lay Missioners who have been in Kenya for 22 years all combined met with John, Cindy and I to welcome us to the region and provide us with local orientation. It was great to learn from their experiences and start to get to know them. They are coordinating the site visits that we will do in February to help in our decision about whether we will settle in Kitale or Mombasa for the next three years.


Our MKLM welcoming committee. The drink in front of me is my new favorite: minty pineade. Pureed mint leaves in pineapple-lemonade.
Our welcoming gifts - Kenyan kikoyi from Mombasa.

Language school has occupied most of my time thus far. The three of us have ventured out and walked a couple miles in two different directions to see some of the city and to run errands. We haven't taken any of the local transportation yet, but I am sure it will be an adventure when we do. There are two main types of buses: the matatus, which are about the size of 15-passenger vans, and coach-style buses. Both types provide local transportation, with signs on the front with the number of their route.

A matatu stopped at one of the bus stops in Nairobi.

We have been fortunate to meet other travelers in our hostel. One of the highlights of today was practicing my Swahili with a young woman from Tanzania. She is staying at the hostel, also for three months, but to learn English. I told her that I would bring my dictionary to breakfast tomorrow to facilitate communication! There are many, many nationalities of people both at our language school and at the hostel, including Indonesia, South Sudan, Italy, Australia, Burundi, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Scotland, Ireland, Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Japan, and Kenya, of course. It has been a pleasure to chat with the students learning English during our breaks.

At language school, we have a half hour break in the morning to drink chai. Chai is the Swahili word for tea. And you thought you didn't know any Swahili.... We are served chai, prepared in boiling hot milk, with sugar provided on the side.


John with Mwalimu Sylvia in the outside area where we usually take our chai breaks and chat with other students.

One of the interesting facts about Swahili is that there is no verb for “to have”. Instead “to be with” is used. So in Swahili, I don't have a new sweater, but I am with a new sweater. I bought one today, since Nairobi is cooler than I expected. We walked to a local market, where the vendors each set up a stall with second-hand clothing.

This week I have been saddened by the news from Haiti. I know that many of you reading this blog have made donations to help reduce the suffering there. My prayers are with you who are so inspired and with those who are mourning, coping, struggling, and assisting in Haiti.

This week marked the first birthday of one of my nephews. Being far away gives me extra time to reflect on what it might mean to “be with” instead of “have.” I hope you all find time to be with people you love this week.

Blessings from this side of the ocean!

- Mary

And for comic relief ... a sign on our walk to school. It appears that cars, not owls, hoot in Nairobi.




1 comment:

  1. Mary
    What a hoot!
    Glad you made it there and that all is going well.Keep in touch.
    Prayers from Honduras
    John

    ReplyDelete