Sunday, March 14, 2010

Choices, choices, choices - Hiari, hiari, hiari

Greetings from Nairobi!

I am in the midst of discernment between whether I will go to live and work in Mombasa or Kitale. I was hoping that the decision would be clear after visiting both places, but there's interesting work I could do in both places - and each place has its own distinctive charm.

Language school has continued to keep me busy, but I hope to spend more time in silence to listen to the whisper within of where I am being called.

Today's Gospel reading about the prodigal son returning to the open arms of his father reminds me of the love that surrounds me. I think part of me has been afraid of making the wrong choice, but perhaps there is not a wrong choice.

Here's the journey to Mombasa in photos:

To Mombasa or bust! Due to bus consolidation, John ended up in seat that was stuck in the reclined position and Cindy's seat was damp. I was in the back row and enjoyed chatting with a few other passengers ... a good opportunity to test my Swahili & learn a few new words.
It was a beautiful day, albeit warm. The landscape on the eastern side of Kenya was more dry than our trip the weekend before to the west.

Our first views of Mombasa was the port from the "causeway" - which connects the island of Mombasa to the mainland. My romantic mental images of the city needed some adjustment as we arrived through the industrial part of the city.
Mombasa is a city of contrast, color, and history.
The tuk-tuks are a popular and inexpensive form of transportation.
The view from our co-missioner's 2nd floor entrance. Some of the city reminded me of Southern California.
One of the Catholic High Schools in Mombasa. The school motto: Ukweli daima (Truth Always) and other encouragement is painted on the building, as are common for schools here.
Another motto I hope to live by.
We were very busy visiting potential sites to serve in. One area in which I was particularly moved was the area called Bangladesh, served by Kiltegan priests from Ireland.
We met many dedicated people serving those living with HIV.
Our co-missioner works out of this building for administrating a project that helps over 150 children stay in school in spite of losing at least one of their parents to AIDS. I was able to read the bios of some of the children and talk to one young man who finished high school and is now taking courses in community development. It was through the project that he found his desire to serve others.
After a long day of exploration, our hostess-with-the-mostest pulled off an amazing evening to introduce us to other missioners in the area.
We used the ferry to cross from the island to the mainland to visit another part of the diocese, where our co-missioner has been helping with an epilepsy clinic.
We stopped to put our feet in the Indian Ocean. We arrived at low tide and walked all the way out to the waves breaking.
hThe walk was a bit of a challenge due to the beautiful but prickly sea life. We moved carefully and in awe of the beauty surrounding us. John captured the clarity of the water and the variety of life - crabs, birds, starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, fish, birds, coral and wonders I don't know the names for.

Within a couple of hours, the coral reef was submerged. It made for an even trickier trip back to shore as John's camera doesn't know how to swim - and the sea life below was more difficult to see in 3-4 feet of water.

During our visit to Mivumoni parish, I met with the women's microfinance group and we all met with the youth group. They were interested in life in America and sang a blessing for each of us before we left.
Back in Mombasa, we saw a bit of history. Fort Jesus was built in the 1500's by the Portuguese.

Now I remember what a luxury it is to have choices, to have options. Thank you for the continued support, letters, emails, and prayers. I hope you all find yourself at home wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment