Saturday, April 3, 2010

Wishing you a Happy Easter - Mfurahie Pasaka Njema

Posing with Victor, center, who designed a tall cross
from palms for me to carry on Palm Sunday.

Mfurahie Pasaka Njema! Happy Easter! The time of waiting is over … whether it was waiting for Easter or waiting for spring – and for me – waiting until I knew where I wanted to begin my work with Maryknoll Lay Missioners.

I had hoped that I would instantly know where I wanted to live and work when I visited Kitale and Mombasa in February. However, I found both places to have great people and great opportunities for work. I found myself torn between two unique places and a variety of project ideas. A week ago, I was visiting a center for people living with HIV/AIDS, and it was there that I found my answer. It is a beautiful facility, focused on providing a high standard of care and individual treatment. It is a place of hope.

One of the opportunities I was considering is working with children who have been orphaned by AIDS. And so, although the AIDS clinic I visited last week was unrelated, it was there that I knew I wanted to work with these young people. I will be part of the AIDS Orphans project that was featured in the last issue of Maryknoll Lay Missioners' Voices of Compassion magazine. This project identifies children who have a lost one or both parents to AIDS and are unable to go to school. I will be helping them get into an affordable school and supporting them along the way.

It will be a new endeavor for me, giving me much to learn. Another Maryknoll Lay Missioner has been working on the project for many years and will leaving in June so I will have a great mentor for my first few months. I will also be meeting with women's groups for those living with HIV to learn how I might be able to serve them, and I hope to help with the diocese micro-finance work, as time allows.


An African image of the Last Supper

As Holy Week came this year, I have had much to reflect on. I was surprised to find the priest washing twelve people's feet during the Holy Thursday service. He spoke of how Jesus turned things upside down and how Peter first refused to have his feet washed. My decision to work in Mombasa and to serve young people whose lives have been forever changed by the loss of a parent to AIDS is still fresh in my mind. I wonder how my views will be turned upside down in the coming years. I hope for the grace to both allow myself to be changed as Peter had and also for the grace to follow the example of Christ in whomever I serve.

Whatever your faith, I hope this time of year brings you new life. For those who share my belief in the Resurrection, I pray that our faith be strengthened, our hearts opened, and our lives recommitted to Love.

With joy, Mary

2 comments:

  1. Mary
    Have a blessed Easter. I am so glad everything is working out well for you. I'll be posting my Triduum experiences Sunday afternoon or evening.
    It truly is a blessing to celebrate with the poor.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thank you for taking the time to share with us back home in Iowa about your experiences there in Kenya.
    Your choice to work with the children of AIDS affected families will certainly be a blessing to them.
    You write from your heart and are very eloquent and organized in putting your thoughts down for us to read.
    You and the people you are serving are in our prayers.
    Denise Rabbass
    St. Patrick Parish Ottumwa

    ReplyDelete