Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gratitude - Shukrani

It's October and I am missing the season of fall.

Here in Mombasa, the weather is getting hot. Jua ni kali is often said now - the sun is hot. But I'm told the heat is yet to come ... December, January, February should be the worst of it.

Tonight I am feeling gratitude. For many things, here's a few to share:

For the ocean breeze
  • For the price war between phone companies that made it affordable to call my little brother on his birthday today
  • For being allowed into people's lives and homes
  • For being here in Mombasa
  • For friends
  • For the time to learn a new language
  • For the patience of many
  • For a comfortable home
  • For the children I am getting to know
  • For the many people who volunteer their time for others
  • For the children's counselor who doesn't give up hope
  • For the donors who enable me to be here
  • For those sacrificing to pay school fees for children not their own
  • For faith to believe in possibilities
  • For the kids living with HIV who have the courage to talk about it

  • For the unique and interesting cultures in Mombasa and throughout the world
Oct 17th was Vijayadashami, the Hindu celebration of good over evil.

  • For peaceful moments to marvel at the goodness around me
Happy Birthday to all the October people!
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary
    Blessings! I am in Ames and saw Anne. I head back next week - but spend a few days in Bogotá, Colombia, to be part of a team giving a workshop on HIV to the Latin American Bishops Conference staff.
    Then back to Santa Rosa.
    Gratitude is the gift we get while living and working with the poor.
    God bless
    John Donaghy

    ReplyDelete