Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas 2010

A Christmas Camel

This Christmas was different than any other. It's quite warm this time of year in Mombasa. Even with the coconut tree swaying outside the kitchen, Christmas seemed a bit more real as we made cookies and prepared plates of treats for friends and neighbors. The spirit of the holiday was present as I entered the Cathedral grounds for the midnight Mass, with music playing, lights strung high above and people visiting outside the church before the celebration. The impressions I will remember from this celebration include: mothers dancing, the choir singing, the drumbeats resonating, the metalic decorations swaying with the electric fans, irridescent sequins sparkling on the fabric draped throughout the church, and a light shining through a paper star when the baby Jesus was put in the manager.

Although most of the celebration was in Swahili, one message I understood. God came to us in a simple place to be with us wherever we are. The bishop spoke of how dirty a place the manger would be. I realized I had sanitized the manger in my mind, so that lowly and humble seemed pure and clean – not messy and complicated like our lives tend to be. I heard how God came to be among us, even in the slums of Mombasa, in the dirt and dust of animals and spaces too small for the inhabitants. It has been a blessing to be here. Not always easy or straight-forward, but a blessing.

Photo Memories from December:

The month started with World AIDS Day - and my first trip to Taveta, inland & near the Tanzania Border. The bus trip had a few adventures ... including the resourcefulness of the driver, cutting a rope with two rocks to tie an exhaust pipe together to get us on the road again!

Photo op during the bus break-down. My roommate Susan is the one in the middle.

Chasing the bus after the driver got it running again
Julius & Kevin pushing us ahead ... just kidding. Totally posed.
Back on the road again
Other road warriors are donkeys. I was impressed this guy seemed to know where he was going by himself. He also reminded me of the Christmas story as I don't see too many donkeys in Mombasa town.
A common Kenyan sight - the unique baobob tree that has a huge hollow trunk.
Upon our arrival at the festival (a few hours late), we heard various performances about preventing the spread of HIV. This group had impressive harmony.
This little girl came up to me to chat while we were listening, then took my hand and followed us as we walked around town. I think she wanted to go home with us, but she would be missed. Many people in town greeted her on our walk.
Interesting sights on the way back home ...
December also brought a workshop for the AIDS Orphans I serve. We had a favorite dish for lunch - pilau.
One of our team-building & problem solving activities during the workshop

December brought another gift - of a rooster for Susan. Unlike my rooster Zanzibar, who I kept as a pet in Uganda, this one found his way into a feast for Susan's birthday.I love birthdays! I had an adventure making angel food cupcakes from scratch. Next time I'll know so much more, it won't take 4 hours...
I spent Christmas eve with my colleagues from the Community Based Health Care center, which serves people affected with HIV/AIDS. We had to figure out how to get across a crocodile & shark infested river with 4 crates. My team all got eaten. This was the beach where I saw the Christmas camel. He's there almost every day for tourists to ride, but it being Christmas and all ....
You can see who didn't get the memo about which shirt to wear....
Our Christmas tree
We had a feast with three great guys from Ireland, part of the Kiltegans.
Lucy, who cooked for us, & I were the only ones who wore our Christmas crowns!

Wishing you an incredible new year!
Mary

3 comments:

  1. Mary
    A blessed New Year.
    Your first two paragraphs are a great reflection.
    God bless.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a spectacular year for you, Mary! Here's wishing you all the best during 2011.

    P.S. What a smart donkey : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just catching up on your blog and you've been busy!! You are always so insightful too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete