Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The way forward - Njia mbele


Often times I've been talking to people about kutafuta njia mbele - searching for the way forward. It's not always clear, but today clarity came in another form. The value of human dignity was crystal clear today, as I was reminded by a boy named Pius.

I have been touched by people living with disabilities in various ways before. In Los Angeles, there was a guy named Norm who lived across the street from me who very kindly offered to walk me home when we were crossing the street together. He was living in a group home and was really proud to show his other friends that we knew each other on subsequent times we'd see each other.

Last month I met the newest member of our Maryknoll Lay Missioners group in Kenya, who last worked at a shop where people with disabilities made equipment for others with disabilities. And last weekend, I was visiting with the brother of a friend who happens to be deaf. He and his friend gave me a "sign-name," which is taking your right hand and making the sign for M and then running it along your hairline from front to back, indicating my long hair. Our communication was entertaining for all - from my one semester community course in American Sign Language, I could at least provide some laughs.

And today, I entered my office to find a young boy sitting on the floor next to his mother, who had come seeking help. He fell sick within the first few days of his life and has not had good control of his muscles in the 16 years since. I'm not sure of his diagnosis, but was really moved by his spirit. He's not able to say much, but I was told that his mind wasn't affected and it was clear he understood what we were saying. His mother and I struggled to understand each other (in Swahili) and find the way forward. I know we will find a way for him to go to school. From what I could see, he's bright, but has never had a chance to go to school - perhaps from a combination of lack of funds for transportation, lack of influence, lack of knowledge of resources available, poverty and disease.

Pius showing us how he can hold a pen to write.

We'll find a way. It will take time and might not be as straight-forward or clear, but what is clear to me is how special this life is. A spirit unbroken after many years of trial and tribulation.

Tomorrow starts the season of Lent, the 40 days before Easter, a time of prayer and conversion. I am committing myself to more time in reflection and hope to share more in these weeks.

May we all keep our spirits strong in spite of the challenges we face.
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment