Friday, March 23, 2012

Trash into treasure

One of my passions caring for the earth.  I've been composting and re-learning to garden in new soil now for two years, only to be "defeated" as they say here by the new and continually expanding family of chickens that have moved in to my garden and eaten all young leaves and seedlings.  Ironically, my gardening inspired their young owner, the 10-year old grandson of our landlady, to get involved in agriculture and thus, start growing chickens! 

After my retreat in February where the theme was 'Praying with God's Creation', I committed myself to do something more to help care for the natural world around me.  For most Kenyans, there is not a waste management company that comes for their household trash.  Most commonly, things are dumped in an open lot or burned, regardless of the toxic fumes emitted.  What to do with trash often seems like an after thought here in Kenya, with many people dropping what they no longer need on the roadside.  Larger issues await and solutions aren't obvious, especially with no systems in place for waste removal.

My first effort has been with the Community Based Health Care support group "Tuamkeni" Let's wake up, which meets each Friday near my office.  I had met with them a few weeks ago to share samples of what composting has done for my rocky soil and assess their interest.  I found as in any group, there were some eager beavers and other more reticent participants.

I also enlisted the support of Kate, a volunteer with AFCA, who was here supporting agriculture efforts to help HIV+ children and their guardians.  Her enthusiasm and training at ECHO - Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization were such a blessing.  We started with a bit of an experiment - three methods of composting.

Explaining the plan...

Raphael digging one of the holes

Kate (right) and group members with dry grasses and leaves

Edwina and I got a gunny sack full of fruit and vegetable peelings from a local street vendor.

Sorting out the trash from the good stuff ... we found out who was willing to get their hands dirty!

This might have been posed  ... pile #1 and the box we tried composting in

Watering the completed pile ... 


It's been dry, so the station nurse has helped with keeping the piles damp for all those little micro-organisms to do their work!

And just in time for Easter, we have new little chicks!  If only their father would keep quiet until 6 am in the morning...

Freshly hatched

Two days old ... I'm hoping none of them grow up to be a noisy rooster!

No comments:

Post a Comment