Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Visitation

Yesterday we celebrated what we call in English, the Visitation, reading the story of a pregnant Mary going to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who was also pregnant. This story is one that I find moving for a variety of reasons.

The idea of the two of them supporting one another. I imagine them drawing strength from each other. They both were facing unusual circumstances, one pregnant in her old age and the other out of wedlock. I find myself grateful for all those who have supported me in my transition here in Mombasa.

The second idea that really struck me yesterday was the time of expectation - the time in which change has already begun but also knowing that there is more to be - the time of preparation and of growth that happens during a pregnancy. So while there are many differences in their story and in mine, I saw those parallels. My work has begun, but I know it will be evolving. I am still preparing for more, learning my way around town, trying to improve my language skills, reading the family history of the many children in the project and hoping to remember their faces when they come to the office at the next term break. I know there will great life and growth in this experience for me.

A couple other moments to share accompanied by photos:

Tabitha

One of the joys of the project I am working on is seeing young people succeeding. Tabitha is one of the success stories of the project. She graduated from high school this past year, scored very well on the national exam, and is hoping to study Electronic and Electrical Engineering at Kenyatta University next year. The Archdiocese prepared a video about her and we visited her family home. As she told me on the way, it's a simple home, but it's theirs. I am so proud of her and hope she finds a way to reach her dreams.

At home with Tabitha and her family. Her nephew has a beautiful smile that the photo didn't capture.

A week ago, my new parish, the Holy Ghost Cathedral, celebrated Mass outside, as Pentecost is the feast day of the Holy Spirit. Three different groups of children danced.


After the service, the bishop invited us to the front to introduce ourselves. He told everyone that Coralis is leaving (and tried to make her commit to coming back!) and welcomed Susan & I to the archdiocese. I managed to give a speech that sounded like I know Swahili ...

Another lesson I've been shown here repeatedly is hospitality - Both Fr Kengah (far right) and Coralis have been taking foreigners under their wings and teaching with their gentle ways.
Eating Swahili style - on the floor with our hands

This photo shows my fellow missioners, Pat and Ilona, with our newpaper guy, Joseph. Joseph told me on Sunday that it makes him happy to see me. I didn't tell him that I got all emotional the week before that when he gave me the Swahili newspaper as a gift to help me learn more. He has been a patient Swahili instructor so I always chat with him when ever I am passing by his stand.

And by request, a photo of our backyard. The tree with the palm leaves is a coconut tree with the neighborhood crows who serve as my alarm clock. The large tree in the back right is a mango tree (laden with many large mangoes), and directly beneath it, with the thin straight trunk is a papaya tree. The bushes in front right are jasmine, which the owners harvest as buds to sell locally.

Wishing you a wonderful June!

No comments:

Post a Comment