Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This little light of mine

The song "This Little Light of Mine" has taken on new meaning for me in the last two weeks. I knew it as a children's song from Bible school many years ago. Now it is a joyful memory of Coralis, my mentor and friend, who left Mombasa today for another chapter in her life story.

After returning from the airport , I was doing a bit weeding-therapy in my shamba (garden), about which I will post on another day, and reflecting on some of the things I learned from Coralis about mission.

+ Sometimes people just need someone to listen.
+ Things take time. Don't rush them.
+ Be present.
+ We can come to know God more deeply in all we do.
+ Be one with the car.

I will add more as they come to me. It has been an incredible privilege to know and work with Coralis. She is a woman of deep faith, many versatile talents, and great hospitality. She will be greatly missed in Mombasa.

It's common for women to be called Mama here, usually followed by the name of the mother's first child. Coralis is fondly called Mama Paulo. For me, we decided that my new name would be Mama Bado ... or Mama Not-Yet.

Coralis with some of the children in the AIDS Orphans Project


Nenda salama - Go in peace. I know your light will continue to shine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! The list of things that you learned from your friend are so true and beautiful (though I'm not certain of the one about "being one with the car"...there must be an interesting back-story I'm not privy to). Thanks for passing on the wisdom! Now I just need to work on putting it into practice. :-)

    It was also great seeing your live, smiling face on the video of the Archdiocese of Mombasa website. I'm glad to see you're doing well.

    Paul F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being "one with the car" has to do with knowing when to go and when to wait - especially when squeezing in between matatus (mini-buses), tuk-tuks (three-wheeled electric taxis) and other cars in jammed roundabouts ... driving here caused me quite a bit of anxiety. It still takes all my concentration, but I'm managing! As I tell people here - only by the grace of God. =)

    ReplyDelete