Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

Hello dear friends! It's weeks past Palm Sunday as I write this. I started it on the day, but now am home in Iowa enjoying time with my family. As I sit, I am babysitting, waiting for my niece to awake so we can go outside & play with everyone else.

This year I journeyed into an area called Kibarani with the faithful of St Francis' church. It is an "outstation" or extension of another parish served by the Missionaries of St Patrick, friends of mine from Ireland. For Palm Sunday, we processed from the main road - laden with trucks importing goods from Mombasa to all of East Africa, down through the homes and into their small but welcoming church.

Since I work in the next neighborhood, I was happy to see some familiar faces as we walked along, singing Hosanna. Palm Sunday is a day of remembrance for Catholics - we read the story of the Passion of Christ, his trial, suffering and death. As I listened in Swahili and felt the sweat running down, I could envision more of what it might have meant to the followers of Jesus so many years ago - the uncertainty, disbelief and disappointment.
Remembering those who still await hope in their disappointment, uncertainty & disbelief,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment