Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two ways defeated the hyena




Njia mbili zilimshindwa fisi!

Proverbs are very common here, used for storytelling, advising and commenting on situations. This proverb was told to me yesterday by a student explaining why she's not interested in dating anyone while she's in school.

The story goes that the hyena couldn't decide which way to go, so he tried to go both ways - two feet on each side. He stretched and stretched until he split in half. I was able to use it later in the day so I know this proverb will be used again!

In our complex world, there's so many paths to chose from, and in some cases it's not even clear where the path is at all. Someone I work with seems to have chosen a different path or perhaps is split between two and it's been a challenge for me to know how to respond in a way that is fair when I've lost the trust I had in the person. I have to keep my frustrations in perspective with those who have lost much more.

On the brighter side, it's report card time again! The students here get reports for 1st term in April, 2nd term in August and 3rd term in December. This week I had two of our 1st year students (Form 1 = Freshman year of high school) surprise me with their grades and I am SO PROUD of them!!!

Moments from the past two weeks...

Did you ever wish you were a goose so you could play in mud puddles?

I'm learning about cracked cam shafts

and engine repair ... Unfortunately also learning about lack of ethics in the auto part business. Lots of learning experiences to be had!
Therapy session in the kitchen was successful - Thanks to the blog of Joy The Baker, which had an excellent garlic potato soup. I only had 18 of the request 40 cloves of garlic, but it was still amazing!
One of our students that just finished a welding course asked for a new pair of wedding goggles to protect his eyes. For a few dollars, we were able to help protect his sight. It was fun to see him try them on and pose with them (here demonstrating how to weld).
And the kids who come to the church after school usually provide entertainment. We were doing a "photo shoot" of a student who was given a uniform and everyone wanted in on the action.
I hope you don't find yourself torn between two ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment