Sunday, August 28, 2011

How do you say octopus in Swahili?



Today I met an octopus fisherman. I am at the St. Margaret Mary Cottage for a three night-vacation with my friends John & Cindy. We were out this morning at low tide, wandering through tide pools, trying to avoid stepping on prickly sea urchins nor threatening sea life more than necessary. I had to marvel at all the little creatures around me - colors, shapes, creatures different than I've seen before. It was if I was within a Dr. Seuss book.

There is a coral reef along the coast, and in some places the surface beneath our feet would give way, like walking on a thick mat. I hope the soft coral is forgiving as it was hard to avoid as we made our way out from the shore.

There were two men busy prodding in the deeper pools so I asked them what they were looking for. The reply was "Njoo!" Come! and so I went. I found out what he was fishing for as he successfully caught it and threw it to me. A slimy, slithery octopus. I was not graceful nor grateful, screaming and jumping back. He had no trouble capturing it again and holding it for all of us to touch it, as its ink ran down his arms. Later he came back with a gift for me of a big shiny shell, a refreshing change from the many salesman who wander the beaches.

The multitude of life that surrounded me - as I watch the sand come alive - brought me a sense of awe. What appears dead or lifeless scurries away or grips the earth as I try to move it. Fragile, resilient, beautiful, iridescent or camouflaged. A moment to realize the Divine.

May you be so blessed today.
Mary




No comments:

Post a Comment