Sunday, August 21, 2011

New Beginnings


Today I said farewell to a student that is starting college this fall. I've been able to help coordinate the donation for some of her university fees as well as help her get some of the things she'll need. I felt as if she was my own daughter, sending her off to school and trying to think of what she might need. I asked her to select a few snacks for the overnight bus trip to Nairobi tomorrow. When I asked which ones she liked, it was humbling to hear she'd never had store-bought chips before.



Tonight as I joined my roommates for prayer and reflection, I sat before a candle reading love love love love on it. I had been searching for what to tell this young woman who is starting a chapter that will forever change her life.


I also thought of how much this student has affected me, certainly due to how bright and honest she is - the kind of person who you want the best for - and perhaps from the memories of my time in college, but also knowing how this opportunity will change the future of her family. She has the chance that her mother and late elder sister didn't. She won't be limited to washing clothes, selling vegetables, or braiding hair like so many other women who weren't able to finish primary school. She won't be a story of a teenager pregnant too early who entered a relationship knowing she would get enough food to eat or be able to pay for simple things like soap.


In spite of the daily challenges that come before me, the things big and small that I struggle with, this new beginning gives me hope. I am grateful for being able to part of it.


And the candle reminded me that it is my belief in love that brought me here - a love that can overcome all else. The words sound too easy - but I hope to start fresh tomorrow.


With prayers for all those entering into new beginnings, Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment