Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mshukuru Mungu kwa kila jambo - Farewell 2011


At the beach with my friend Mary
Thank God for everything - that was the message of the homily in yesterday's Mass which started the year end meeting for the Community Based Health Care Project I work with.  

Today is the last day of 2011.  I'm feeling good about 2012.  This year has had lots of high moments & certainly many challenges.  I was able to move from learning my job to learning how to serve the students better.  I am really grateful for those that supported me through the challenging moments - both those in Kenya and those abroad and at home.  It's been a year of growth. 

The Community Based Health Care Project staff have really made a huge difference in my work this year.  When I found out that a young man who had been working with me was involved in theft, it was one of the CBHC staff that went with me to investigate.  When I took my trip home for a month this summer, it was the CBHC staff who took care of the necessary things for the work I do - so it was fitting that I was sitting with them yesterday and feeling grateful to be part of that team.  The primary purpose of their project is health care for people living with HIV, so the education work I do is off-shoot, but everyone is always willing to help out with what I do.

I'm thankful for Christmas cookies....

And for my Mombasa Maryknoll family ... with our Christmas feast! Yea team!!!
And for a Christmas party that really felt like Christmas!

We had a end of the year party with the Reading Club students ... with a multiplication race!
The girls won ... hands down.  Way to go ladies!

After lunch of rice & beans, they made cards - Thanks to Jane for the supplies & Minh for carrying them to Kenya!


At our CBHC Year-end Meeting - we had team-building exercises on the beach

And it was REAL EXERCISE! We ran intervals mixed with push-ups, jumping jacks, etc.  I'm sore today!
Then we had competitions of filling buckets with broken bowls...  we won, but not officially since we used sand to fill the hole....
Then passed a wet towel through our legs in the water... No one managed to fall over, but there was complaining of cheating on both sides.

Me & my supervisor - Sr. Veronica, who's in charge of CBHC and a fantastic person!


Then we had our "Secret Friend" gift exchange.  I was lucky enough to shop with the person who's name I had so I knew just what she wanted!
What I was given.  =)  Very Kenyan.

We had a cake, which is traditionally cut by multiple people.

And then, also by tradition, fed to the guest of honor.


Now I'm off to bring in the new year on the beach with friends.  I wish you all a very happy new year!




No comments:

Post a Comment