Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy 35th to Maryknoll Lay Missioners!

Today is the 35th Anniversary to the foundation of the Maryknoll Lay Missioners! My co-missioner Susan and I went to Mass together this morning and then out to a delightful lunch to give thanks for the organization that has given us the journey we are on.

I was just reading a note from our Executive Director Sam Stanton & wanted to share with you some of his thoughts.
"As missioners, we carry a great deal of responsibility, especially to those who make our ministry possible. As our original vision statement said, “Mission is a sacred challenge and gift from God.” Let us take the opportunity of our 35th anniversary to profoundly ponder the sacredness of our calling and of this moment while we thank our creator God for our many blessings. We especially thank God for our brothers and sisters in the Congregation [Maryknoll Sisters] and Society [, for our current staff, for our alumni and former staff, for our board members, for the Affiliates, and for all our partners in mission throughout the country that support us in so many ways.

For all these blessings, oh God, we thank you with grateful hearts."
We are also giving thanks in Kenya for a very peaceful vote on the constitution. It was so quiet and the peacefulness of the vote gave so much hope for a brighter future.

I am also grateful for good health and beautiful weather in Mombasa right now. I had to take it easy a few days this week when a bug (possibly a malaria-carrying mosquito) got the best of me. Feeling good again seems bittersweet when hearing of the plight of those dealing with the loss of varying degrees now in Iowa and in Pakistan.

My final and most profound gratitude today is for those who have gone before me in Maryknoll, those who encouraged me to follow my heart in deciding to come, and those who have accompanied me along the way.

I found a few photos of faces of missioners to share, but I wish I could put all of your faces that come to mind today.

My MKLM Class back in December - now in Kenya, China, Bolivia, Tanzania, Panama, Cambodia and El Salvador

Two amazing women who inspired me with their joy and their stories of life in Kenya!

And my fellow missioners in Kenya: Pat, Russ, Ilona, me, Susan ...
and Kathy, Cindy and John.

Happy Anniversary MKLM!

With gratitude,
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to you and Maryknoll (all its branches) for being signs of the Reign of God, most of all for the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for your celebration and for the peacefulness of the vote. Glad you are feeling better and sorry to hear about that pesky old mosquito. Thinking of you always with a joyful heart. Love...Gina

    ReplyDelete