Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Praying for Peace in Kenya - Tunaombea Amani katika Kenya

Today is a historic day for Kenya. It is now just before dawn. There is a symphony of birds outside my window proclaiming the new day. Today is the day of a national referendum on a constitution. It might be the first constitution since Kenya gained independence from England in 1963.

The Constitution has been the predominant headline since I arrived in Kenya early this year. When I was in Nairobi, I was asking Kenyans that I was getting to know what they hoped for. Moses, the day security guard at our hostel who also served as our Swahili tutor and friend, told me that his hope was for a new constitution - a new beginning for Kenya.

Since then, the wording was finalized, the draft published, rallies held on both the sides, questions raised, highly publicized arguments and insults thrown, articles written, sermons preached, alliances made, and campaigns full of both innuendo and promise run. Although most agree a new constitution is needed, key issues have hotly contested. Almost three years ago, violence erupted in hot spots around Kenya when the last presidential election results were disputed. The memory of loss, frustration, and unresolved conflicts still remains. The tide seemed to turn in the last two days from heated battling to requests for peace and reconciliation between the two sides whatever the result may be.

After work yesterday, I went to the ocean and it was still. Even the ocean breeze seemed to be holding its breath.

Please join us in praying for peace in Kenya.

1 comment:

  1. I was so happy to talk with you the other day and so pleased to find this post! It sounds like the election process/constitution changes are similar no matter where we are in the world. I am glad that the aftermath continues to be peaceful and I pray that it continues for all Kenyans! Thinking of you, but now I can picture you sitting outside of your house or wearing one of your colorful skirts. Here's to the neon zebra print!! Missing you!
    Love you, Gina

    ReplyDelete