Tuesday, August 3, 2010

July - Mwezi wa Saba (The 7th Month)

I thought I would take you on a photo journey through a few events this past July.
A highlight was visiting friends in Uganda & Kenya. Here's one my the English classes that my friend Cindy Korb (another MKLM missioner) teaches in Kitale. The students and I were enchanted with each other as we asked each other questions and sang songs. Cindy & I gave our best version of Amazing Grace, while the girls sang various ones of hope, love, faith and unity.


Earlier in the month, the Community Based Health Care Center which I work with had a Family Day for children who are receiving treatment for HIV/AIDS through their programs. I went as part of the staff and was happy to see a few of the children that the AIDS Orphans project serves as well - particularly one girl who I has last seen at her home still very weak. The CBHC provides the children with medicine, counseling, and peer-support groups, where as the AIDS Orphans project that I coordinate supports educational needs for some who have lost one or both of their parents to AIDS.

The Family Day had an excellent emcee who has a gift with young people. He found a little performer who sang a solo for us all.

The CBHC staff sang a song about stomping out AIDS and then the teens living with HIV/AIDS performed the song for everyone with the support of a couple staff members - after just hearing it once!
We didn't let the 4th of July go by without a BBQ! Brother Stan is one of the few Americans we know in Mombasa. He is the director of a Marianist Center for training youth. This center offers training in vocational skills such as welding, hairdressing, and catering for an affordable price. We are very happy to partner with them in the training of some of the orphans in the AIDS Orphans project. I was delighted to find when Brother Stan offered to bring cake and buns for the occasion that they were made by some of his catering students (pictured with one of their creations).

As part of our BBQ, (which also included grilling hotdogs & hamburgers) we had a sing-a-long.
July also brought a visitor to Mombasa - Russ, who is a MKLM missioner in Kitale. He came with Jane, a CBHC nurse (2nd right), and I to do home visits. This woman we visited was absolutely delightful. She had recently lost her husband, so Jane wanted to see how she was holding up. Her eldest son was busy constructing a new shed from local materials, and they are fortunate to live where they can do some farming.

Jane was telling me how this little guy always had a beautiful smile for her so she asked for a photo.
July also brings a new year in my life, and I was blessed to have friends to share a meal and homemade cupcakes overlooking the Indian Ocean.
Fellow missioners & friends

As July came to a close, I was able to join the CBHC staff for a meeting at a beautiful place along the beach. We talked about the challenges of our work and it was an honor for me to listen to stories of others.
I also learned how the Giriama (from just north of Mombasa) do their traditional dance - but it wasn't something I was able to master.

The last sunrise in July.

Wishing you moments of peace and wonder in the coming month,
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish I could have heard all of the beautiful singing! The whole experience sounds "amazing" and the dancers look spectacular. I bet if you keep at it, you will master the Giriama soon enough. Your b-day cupcakes look delicious and the July sunsets are gorgeous! Keep smiling! I bet it brightens the day of many of the people you are working with and helping, too! Miss you...Gina

    ReplyDelete